What is a Rule of Life?
A Rule (or Rythym) of Life is simply a plan, a set of habits that help us create space in our busy world for us to be with Jesus, become like Jesus, and do what Jesus did—to live “to the full” (John 10:10) in his kingdom, and in alignment with our deepest passions and priorities. Slowing down to pray and plan out your Rule of Life helps you look at who you are becoming and be intentional about building your relationship with God.
A Rule of Life IS NOT a legalistic “to-do list,” it’s a life-giving structure for freedom, growth and joy.
Developing a Rule of Life
A Few Simple Steps
- Pray. Ask God for guidance in putting together a rhythm that will meet your desire for life-giving connections with Him and authentic spiritual transformation.
- Choose a few practices that work best for you to achieve the two goals mentioned in step one. Or, discern which practices are particularly needed because of your own personal lifestyle, personality, or sin patterns? Some examples of practices include:
- self-examination through confession and forgiveness
- giving of time and finances
- Write out your plan including:
- What practices will you focus on, and where and when will you engage in them (daily, monthly, annually)?
- How will others be incorporated (encouragement, accountability, discipleship)?
- How do you need to readjust your schedule and who in your life do you need to talk to to help make this happen?
- Take a break from it for a few days; pray, rest in God’s presence, then come back and ask if your plan is realistic. Does it meet the purpose? Is it personal and specific enough?
- Commit yourself prayerfully out of a desire for God, not a sense of obligation.
- Continue to adjust and experiment and evaluate with God in each season of life.
For more resources, check out the Rule of Life Workbook provided by practicingtheway.org.